Easy Estate Planning for Everyone

Power of attorneyWhile I have said this before and will likely offer this advice many times in the future, it is important to note that no matter your age or socioeconomic status, there are estate planning documents that literally every adult needs.

Estate planning isn’t just about leaving assets to heirs. For example, consider what would happen, if you are in an accident or suddenly became extremely ill.  This means determining the person who will look out for your best interests if you are unable to speak. In short, it involves naming someone you trust as your medical power of attorney.

A living will, or advanced care directive, are important documents in your estate plan.  However, you also need a medical power of attorney to help ensure that you are getting the kind of care you would want. A medical power of attorney, sometimes known as a health care power of attorney, designates the individual(s) you would want to make health care decisions in your stead if you’re unable to communicate. This is your health care agent or representative.

Unlike an advanced care directive or living will, your health care agent can make decisions for you when your incapacitation isn’t life-threatening.   If you don’t have a valid power of attorney designating your official health care agent, most likely either your spouse, an adult child or parent will be asked to make medical decisions on your behalf. This depends on the state in which you live and your circumstances.

Appointing a medical power of attorney is the only way to be certain the person you feel most comfortable with, is in charge in case of an emergency.  When you choose your representative, make sure he or she is willing to take on that responsibility. You should also name an alternate representative if your primary person is unavailable. Be certain that he or she is comfortable in abiding by your wishes and relaying that information to your doctor.

Ask your estate planning attorney to complete the correct forms for your state of residence and have them notarized and/or witnessed.   You can help you with that by calling  757.259.0707 or by “requesting a complimentary consultation” online.

Reference: twincities.com (December 16, 2017) “Your Money: Medical power of attorney: the missing piece of too many estate plans”


Like this article?

Share on facebook
Share on Facebook
Share on twitter
Share on Twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on Linkdin
Share on pinterest
Share on Pinterest

Leave a comment


We have a LOT more where that came from!

We hate spam too. We will never share or sell your information.

Call Now ButtonCall Us Now https://jsfiddle.net/7h5246b8/

Request a free consultation

We hate spam too. We will never share or sell your information.